Sunday, June 28, 2009

The "Heart" of the Matter...

The Bible says that the heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9
I am learning I really know little about myself. We sing a song, "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, I want to see you." We should be singing, "Open the eyes of my heart, I want to see myself." Show me myself, Lord. We can't truly see the Lord until we see ourselves. The more of the blinders the Lord removes from my heart, the more clearly I am seeing Him. Your heart is a darker place than you may know. Man looks on the outward appearance, but God looks on our heart. ISamuel 16:7. It is what you speak from, the Bible says. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Luke 6:45We are masters at showing the world what we want them to see, but the real us, the part of us that is so hidden, we carefully guard. We wear this garment of self-protection. Jesus said that the Pharisees were concerned with the cleaning of the outside of the cup, but their inward parts were full of wickedness. Luke 11:39 Sometimes our heart problems are obvious to the world. We outwardly show anger, hostility, etc. We turn to all kind of worldly pleasures and comforts to ease our hurting hearts. We are addicted to food, alcohol, drugs, shopping, t.v, anything to fill that empty place in our heart. When what we need is not another chocolate chip cookie, what we need is heart surgery. A visit to the great physician. Ask the Lord to show you your heart. Lord, show me, me. The real me. Not the person wearing the garment of self-protection the world sees, but me, what You see.

Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. Psalm 26:2

2 comments:

  1. Search my heart Lord is one of my constant prayers.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen, I liked this very much. I think we will learn alot about our hearts through our July Bible Study! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete