Wednesday, May 13, 2009

God's Revelation To Me About Permanent Weight Loss Pt 2

Part Two
James 1:5 says thst if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally...God's answer to me was that I didn't need a miracle diet or pill to get rid of the weight, I needed to get rid of the sin.

I was at a buffett restaurant one day and I looked around and what I saw was everyone with their plates piled so high they couldn't get another spoonful on their plate if they wanted too. Some of the people were shoveling the food in so fast, it was as if they wasn't even aware of what they were doing. I saw people leaving with their hands on their stomach, groaning, saying they ate too much. It is something we do so regularly we don't give it much thought. But we should, eating IS a spiritual matter. God has a lot to say about it in His Word. I was looking around again, and suddenly it was all funny to me. It was so funny I had to leave the restaurant. It was funny because suddenly I realized everyone is looking for this profound answer to weight loss, myself included, and the answer is a simple one. God's answer, quit eating when you are full. Stop overeating. A glutton is simply one who eats too much. What? That's it? Yes, that is it.

After that experience, I did a word study in the Bible on gluttony. I was getting my focus on God and off of food. During my study God was breaking my heart about the sin of gluttony. I no longer wanted to lose weight so I could look good in a pair of jeans, I wanted to lose weight for Him.

After the revelation comes the living it out. I didn't jump up out of my prayer closet with all knowledge on what to do. I had to learn new habits. I had to learn to put less food on my plate and quit eating the moment I started to feel full. I had to learn to substitute all the junk food I was so accustom to eating with nutritious foods. God doesn't always instanly deliver us, sometimes we have to go thru. In my early twenties God did instantly deliver me from smoking cigarettes. Which I thought I would put on weight but I didn't. It didn't affect my weight at all.

One of the things God showed me about the sin of gluttony is that it is completely ignored in the church world. If you go to church and look around, there are many of God's people in bondage to food. You will see obese people singing in the choir, in the office of deacon, even standing behind the pulpit. The Bible puts the glutton in the same category as the alcoholic. What church would let an alcoholic sit in any office in the church? But we ignore the problem on the basis we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. We tend to ignore the scriptures that doesn't fit our lifestyle. Satan must laugh because he has so many people trapped. I was one of those people for years.

Jesus said in John 8:32 it is the truth that sets us free. It was when I faced the truth that what I was doing was sin I started on my way to permanent weight loss. Jesus said in verse 34 that whosoever commits sin is the servant of sin. I can testify to that. I was a slave to all the fad diets. I wanted what I thought was the easy way out. The truth is we want to take a miracle pill and hang on to our sin.

Diets and diet pills are man made, nothing man made will free you from sin.
Part Three tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Keep them coming. I need to be reminded of these truths AGAIN!!!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete