Friday, May 15, 2009

The Greatness of America

I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers, and it was not there;
in her fertile fields and boundless prairies, and it was not there;
in her rich mines and her vast world commerce, and it was not there.
Not until I went to the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power.
America is great because America is good.
And if America ever ceases to be good,
America will cease to be great.
-Alexis de Tocqueville

2 comments:

  1. I wonder how long ago this was said. I think at one time this was very true. I'm not so sure it is today. Far to many churches are anything but "aflame with righteousness". Just my personal opinion.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he lived in the early 1800's. You are absolutely right. It seems as if the church today is far away from righteousness. You can go to many churches today and never hear the word sin mentioned. It is all about your destiny, your prosperity, your healing, etc. It is a self centered gospel that is being preached today. But that is what the Word warns us about in the last days. People heaping to themselves teachers because they have itching ears. They don't want to hear deny yourself, they want to hear bless me, heal me. Most people today won't deny themselves anything. They have no clue what it is to take up their cross and follow Jesus.

    ReplyDelete